Thursday, November 19, 2009

When ye are in the service...

What a day. I spent the entire day, and by entire day I mean ENTIRE day on the phone. I used over 1300 minutes on our cell phone plan today and spoke to hundreds of people. As I previously posted, my friends son was killed last night. As details unfolded today, it turned out that the driver that hit him wasn't drunk (a blessing) and that the driver is in our ward. What a tragedy!
I took it upon myself this morning to organize meals, the service luncheon, the hotels for family, etc and have been overwhelmed by the outpouring of love that the community has for my friend and her family. I feel humbled at the opportunity to serve during this time and for the first time in 3 years, feel like I am suppose to live here. It's hard to explain but I haven't felt that sense of belonging to this place until today and the weird thing is that it was me that put in all the effort rather than others reaching out to me to make me feel welcomed and like I'm suppose to be here.
Today reminded me of being on my mission, it reminded me of Greenville, a place that I didn't want to go and dreaded my last 6 weeks of being there, but so many little miracles occurred there that changed my life and literally was the catalyst of my mission. I can't say I loved Greenville, but I can say I'm truly grateful for it and the experiences it brought. I served in a way I never had before and that was a defining moment!
I felt bad that I didn't spend much time with my husband or child today, but I will go to bed tonight feeling confident that I served the Lord and hopefully lightened the load of my friend who is grieving the loss of her child.

3 comments:

Sherry Leal said...

Wow...I didn't know you felt quite so strongly about Greenville. Of course, I remember the part about you not wanting to be there and it being your last 6 weeks and all. Maybe it was your companion that was the biggest trial. :)

Tiffany said...

Sherry it wasn't that...it was just such a hard transfer, to leave Chapel Hill, to leave Nyman. It was just hard, but it ended up really being something I will never forget! And it wasn't you...you were the only companion that made a fort with me and slept in it for 3 nights... :)

Sherry Leal said...

Ha ha! The fort! I had so much fun, I did that with Sis. Johnson after you left for my 18 month mark, too. I also remember Sis. Bateman and I dragging our mattresses out and sleeping on the porch in Chapel Hill! There was barely enough room for them both so they were pretty much side by side. I hope we didn't break the "companions will sleep in the same bedroom but not the same bed" rule. :) Fun times, fun times.