Wednesday, November 25, 2009

What's a mother to do???

So I have a NAUGHTY 2 and 1/2 year old...she is really stubborn and headstrong and independent and knows everything and wants everything...and it is really frustrating. Lately the tantrums have been getting worse and the outbursts in public are out of control...I try to go out as little as possible without Todd because I can't carry her anymore, and when it does happen I end up nearly pulling a muscle or something just to get her off the floor and out of sight.
So...after some studying about the behavior of 2 year olds here's what we've decided to do...
We are enforcing the time-out thing...and in one of dining room chairs because they are higher and she can't get out of it and it's 2 minutes long (because she's 2) and we are having a chat before and after time-out so she knows why she's there. We also have put up a reward chart so when she does something good she moves up the chart and will get prizes along the way. I laminated and posted the chart today and explained it and she was really excited about moving "emma" up the chart.
And, we talked about our house rules...which because she's 2 we will only have 2 for now.
So...it's 3pm right now and we've used the time-out spot once today and she's moved up the reward chart to the 2nd space.
Here's hoping the Supernanny knows what she's talking about!!!

1 comments:

Sue said...

Shirline was saying that Aaron and Tammy have their kids sit facing the wall leaning forward with their head touching the wall and their arms folded while they are in time out. It's no picnic but it seems to work well for them.